A teen couple fleeing the police died along with their unborn child when their car smashed head-on into a coach and burst into flames, an inquest heard today.

Newlyweds Patrick McDonagh, 19, and pregnant wife Shauna, 18, were killed when their silver Renault Mégane was driven the wrong way down the A40 dual carriageway near Acton in west London in February 2019, the hearing was told.

Shauna was eight months pregnant with their unborn daughter Sienna Marie, who was due on Valentine’s Day that year, the inquest heard.

They were wrongly suspected of having been involved in an armed robbery in which Samurai swords were used, the hearing was told.

Shauna and Patrick, of Edgeware, north west London, were pronounced dead at the scene while a man who was also in the car was taken to hospital.

A jury at West London Coroner’s Court heard how police first followed the car after it drove through a red light.

They switched on their blue lights and pulled it over but, as an officer approached the car, it sped off.

While police were hot on their tail they saw items being “thrown out of the window,” the inquest heard.

The Mégane sped through several more red lights before driving on to the A40 where it hit speeds of up to 89mph despite a temporary 40mph limit.

The police control room warned officers that the vehicle may be linked with an aggravated burglary in the Harrow area in which thugs used samurai swords.

It was later revealed the couple were not connected to the crime.

When the car got to Gypsy Corner, in Acton it was drive the wrong way up the A40.

Police officers in three cars were told to end the chase because it had become too dangerous.

Around a minute later officers on the ground were told by a support helicopter that there had been a “big impact.”

They rushed to the scene to see the car in flames on the central reservation.

The inquest heard how Patrick was seen stumbling from the front passenger side door with a cut on his forehead.

After officers saw he had no weapons, he was given first aid before an ambulance arrived.

They found Shauna lying on the back seat with her head hanging out of the window.

An officer who tried to give her first aid found she had no pulse.

The inquest is due to continue tomorrow.

By admin