The woman, known only as Kaley, claims to have bought the chocolate believing it was actually dairy free before suffering “one of the worst” anaphylactic reactions she’s ever experienced
A woman ended up in intensive care on Easter Sunday care after misreading a ‘Dairy Fine’ label on an Aldi chocolate egg.
The woman, known only as Kaley, claims to have bought the chocolate believing it was actually dairy free.
She said her reaction to the chocolate was “one of the worst” she has experienced, posting about her ordeal from her hospital bed in Melbourne, Australia.
Kaley said: “I’m currently in hospital and was admitted overnight after an anaphylactic reaction from accidentally misreading the packaging on this chocolate.
“Be careful everyone else.”
The nursing student told 7news that she started reacting to the dairy product after just one bite.
Recognising it didn’t taste like her normal chocolate, she was horrified to read the label more closely and discovered it contained milk.
She added: “I noticed straight away it didn’t taste like my normal chocolate.
“I then turned the bunny around to see it said ‘dairy fine’ on the front, but it was very hard to see.”
Within minutes, Kaley was forced to use her Epipen before being taken to hospital in an ambulance.
Doctors treated her with anaphylaxis with adrenaline and soothed a massive swelling in her throat which was stopping her breathing properly.
She added: “I’m very lucky that I did get through it. It’s one of my worst reactions.”
Allergy group, Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia has called on the manufacturers to “improve labelling to make it clearer for consumers with food allergies”.
In a statement, the advocacy group said: “Be sure to read ingredient list as chocolate brand Dairy Fine is NOT dairy free.
“Several have made mistakes and ended up in emergency departments.”
A representative for the group claimed they had approached Aldi last year about the packaging issue, but had not seen any changes.
“We will be discussing it with authorities this week.”
A spokeswoman for the supermarket giant told 7News it could not comment on the issue as it had not been reported to them.
However, if a health issue was brought to its attention, she said it would file a report to the food safety authority for a review.