Three ‘vigilantes stabbed child killer 150 times after he moved to their village

Three vigilantes lured a convicted child killer to a flat to brutally murder him after he moved into their quiet Welsh village, a court heard

Darren Evesham, 47, David Osbourne, 51 and Ieuan Harley, 23, allegedly stabbed their new neighbour David Gaut to death after he was released from a 33 year jail term.

Gaut, 54, had previously been jailed for murdering a 17-month-old boy, Newport Crown Court heard

He had moved into a flat next door to Osborne in the village of New Tredegar, Gwent after being released from prison, prosecutors said today.

The three men allegedly lured Gaut into Osborne’s flat where they brutally murdered him, before dragging his dead body back next door and trying to clean up the crime scene.

Gaut was stabbed more than 150 times with knives and a screwdriver before having his fingernails ripped out and his neck suffered severe cuts after his death, the court heard.

Osborne had discovered Gaut’s past on the internet and Harley said: ‘I want to chop him up and put him down the plughole,’ the jury were told.

Prosecutor Ben Douglas-Jones QC said: ‘Osbourne who triggered the murder by luring the deceased over to his house in the context of knowing Mr Gaut had killed a child when he was 21.

‘Osbourne knew when he invited him over of Harley’s reaction towards him – he not only talked about ‘chopping him up’ but was aggressive.

‘The murder may have been driven by Harley’s aggression and anger.

‘The main aggressor was no doubt Harley. His handprint was in the deceased’s blood. He tried to clean himself up but no doubt left traces.

‘By the moment Mr Gaut was invited, all three men intended to kill or at least do really serious harm to Mr Gaut.’

The prosecutor added: ‘He was duly lured to the flat and he was stabbed to death. After the murder all three men played an active part in moving the body back to his own home.

‘They dragged him down a covered walkway. They cleaned Osbourne’s flat and tried to get rid of bloodied clothing and they set fire to a car, the prosecution say, to destroy incriminating items.

‘They thus, on the basis of what happened after the murder, face a count of perverting the course of justice.’

Gaut was convicted of murdering his girlfriend’s son Chi Ming Shek and jailed for life in July 1985. He was released on parole in November.

Mr Douglas-Jones told the jury: ‘The deceased Mr Gaut himself committed a violent offence.

‘It is no part of our function to judge him for that. He was judged by a jury all those years ago. He was sentenced and he served that sentence.

‘You have to stand back from the emotion involved in the case.

‘I would ask you to stand back from the brutality of the murder. Analyse the case logically.’

Evesham, Osbourne and Harley, all of New Tredegar, Gwent, deny murder.

The court heard the three men were caught when they were overheard by another neighbour talking about disposing of Gaut’s body.

Harley is alleged to have said: ‘We’re going to have to do something about that there because it’s starting to f***ing stink.’

The trio also discussed removing his fingernails to flush down the toilet and cutting off his thumb to ‘throw in the river’.

The court heard Gaut’s thumb was found was ‘severely mutilated’ – and Gaut had been stabbed 26 more times after he died.

Evesham and Harley also deny perverting the course of justice, but it is admitted by Osbourne. The trial continues.