Teenage girls, convicted of attack on student, 18, who later died walk free from court

VIOLENT” teens convicted of an attack on an Egyptian student who later died have walked free from court today.

One woman has been caged after the group teamed up to attack 18-year-old Mariam Moustafa and slam her into a bus stop.

Mariah Fraser, 20, has been sentenced to eight months in a young offenders’ institution after a catalogue of her previous convictions were read to the court, including robbery, attempted robbery and assaulting a police officer.

Britania Hunter, 18, and a 16-year-old girl have been spared custody at Nottingham Crown Court – with the elder given a community order and ordered to carry out unpaid work, and the younger sent back to youth court.

The teenage student suffered a stroke shortly after the attack “over a boy” and “fuelled by social media” last year and died a month later.

Six attackers were charged, including three other teenagers aged 18, 17 and 16 who will be sentenced later this month.

The court heard how one of the six defendants, who cannot be named, told the victim “I have got beef with you” and had sent a message to a fellow attacker saying she wanted to “cut” Mariam.

Passing sentence at Nottingham Crown Court today, Judge Gregory Dickinson QC told the trio: “It is important that everyone with an interest in this sad case should understand that the three defendants are to be dealt with for the offence of affray committed on February 20, 2018.

They were not charged with murder or manslaughter. They are to be sentenced on the basis that their actions, individually and collectively, did not cause the death of Mariam Moustafa.

“The conclusion was that it could not be proved that there was a causative link between the actions of the defendants and the stroke.”

The judge added: “This was not an attack motivated by hostility to race or religion. It was to do with a boy.”

The attack on Mariam led to a diplomatic row, with officials being drawn in from Egypt and Italy, as well as the UK – amid calls the assault was racist and cops had not investigated it fully.

After her death, the Egyptian Embassy said it had been “closely following” the circumstances of the “vicious attack”, with her family believing it was a case of mistaken identity.

Mariam’s sister, Mallak, told The Sun they had been confronted in a separate attack by teenage girls months previously.

After the second assault, she said: “There were ten of them at first. She recognised them from the first attack. She tried to walk away but they started shouting and followed her.

“Mariam told me they came up to her and asked her if she was a girl with the Instagram profile name of ‘Black Rose’.”

Black Rose is thought to be a girl who looks like Mariam and had been taunting the gang on social media.

She told them it wasn’t her, but Mallak added: “They called her a liar and started hitting her — each one kept giving her a punch then stepping back, giving her a kick then stepping back.”

The prosecution said after the incident, Fraser, who has previous convictions for robbery, attempted robbery and assault, had searched the internet for “I have put someone in a coma” when she realised she may be arrested for her part in the attack.

After the final guilty pleas were entered in April, the Mariam’s family vented their anger at the level of charges the six defendants faced.

Her dad, Mohamed Moustafa, said: “We are very disappointed with the charges pressed against the defendants.

“It was not and is not what we expected. It’s unfair and unjust to charge those whom killed or, at least by their actions, led to (Mariam’s) death with such minor offences. It is very weak. It is not fair at all.

“From the first day I was very upset about the charge. Affray – it’s nothing.”

Mariam’s parents, Mohamed Moustafa, 51, and Nessrin Abu-Elneinen, 42, were visibly upset as CCTV footage of their daughter collapsing on the bus was played to the court during hearings.

The court heard how two of the six, the 16-year-old girl and an 18-year-old who will be sentenced later this month, were the main aggressors in the altercation “over a boy”, while the others were either filming the incident or laughing while watching.

Fraser, Hunter and the 16-year-old girl all admitted affray a week before their trial.