Student who fell asleep wearing ear buds wakes up DEAF in one ear

A student who fell asleep with his ear buds in woke up DEAF in one ear.

Doctors revealed the cautionary tale to make those of us who have a habit of falling asleep listening to music think twice.

They say if one of the ear buds had not fallen out while the second-year university student was sleeping, he might have lost his hearing in both ears.

The student gradually got his hearing back and narrowly avoided permanent hearing damage after receiving treatment at hospital in Taiwan.

The man, who has not been identified, was reportedly treated at Asia University Hospital in Taichung City, where medics used the case to warn people to avoid falling asleep with ear buds in.

Ear, nose and throat specialist Dr Tian Huiji, director of otorhinolaryngology, told OMG Taiwan that while people might listen to loud music during the day without experiencing sudden deafness, it is dangerous to do the same at night.

The doctor explained that when sleeping the body’s blood circulation slows down.

That leaves the highly-sensitive sensory hair cells in our ears responsible for detecting sound-waves less able to protect our hearing from loud sounds.

That can result in sudden deafness. Ear buds are particularly risky culprits because, unlike headphones, they restrict any sound from escaping, Mail Online reports.

Medical experts have been warning for years that young people’s use of ear buds to blast loud music is affecting their hearing in the long term.

The NHS has also warned of the dangers of turning up the volume at full blast, saying it can cause long-term hearing damage.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates 375 ­million of people are severely disabled by hearing loss.