Premier Inn guest covered in 100 bite marks after being eaten alive by bedbugs

A man staying at a Premier Inn claims he was eaten alive by hungry bedbugs hiding in the sheets.

Neil Lewis booked into the hotel in Watford, Hertfordshire earlier this month and settled down for a sleep.

Just two hours after dozing off, however, he claims he woke up covered in more than 100 bites.

Bedbugs are tiny parasitic insects which come out at night to feed on human blood – causing huge welts and sores.

Most people don’t feel them biting as the bugs’ saliva contains an anaesthetic.

The 39-year-old, who was visiting on business from his home in Warrington, Cheshire, said he put his head down in his £94-a-night room at 11.30pm on August 5.

When he came to at 1.30am he says he found 20 of the bugs crawling around his bed.

A brief glance in the mirror showed his arms, legs, chest and head were covered in bites, he claims.

He immediately demanded a new room and was moved, but couldn’t get back to sleep.

Neil said: “There was no sign of them when I went to sleep, but when I woke up they were everywhere, under the pillow, over the sheets – just everywhere.

“It hit me that I had been sleeping in this bed for two hours.”

He subsequently complained to bosses at the hotel chain and demanded to know why the bed wasn’t checked for bugs .

Neil also wanted to know if the room had been fumigated since his visit, but he says nobody phoned him until this week.

Premier Inn has now apologised, offered him a full refund and £100 in gift vouchers.

A spokesman said: “In the rare event a guest experiences any issues, we strive to do our very best to resolve them.

“We are very sorry that this was not immediately actioned but are now in direct contact with the guest and have also contacted our insurers on his behalf to instigate a claim.