Pensioner who killed great-grandson, 6, with air rifle is jailed for 3 years

A PENSIONER who killed his great-grandson with an air rifle was today jailed for three years after his mum begged the judge to send him to prison.

Albert Grannon, 78, killed Stanley Metcalf after firing an air rifle at his home in Sproatley, near Hull, East Yorks, on July 26 last year.

His mum says she still hasn’t received an apology from her grandfather after her football-loving son was “accidentally” shot.

She begged a judge to jail him and he was today locked up for three years at Sheffield Crown Court after admitting manslaughter and the possession of a firearm without a certificate.

Mr Justice Lavender said: “No sentence I impose can undo what you’ve done.”

The court heard how Stanley shouted “you shot me grandad” as he was crouched over clutching his stomach after being shot while standing in the kitchen of Grannon’s house during a family gathering.

He had followed his great-grandad inside the house to look at the air rifle and when his mum first saw him hunched over, she thought he was play acting.

Humberside Police previously said Grannon had shown no remorse until he pleaded guilty last month.

Speaking before the sentencing, Miss Dees said: “For me, I don’t believe he should be coming home.

I do believe he does need to go to prison and take responsibility for the death of my son.

“He caused the death of my son.”

She added: “I have had no remorse shown to me. I have had no apology and that is unbearable and unbelievable to see.

“I loved and respected my grandad so much and the day Stanley died I thought he would come to me and say he was sorry, why wouldn’t he? But he didn’t.

“People say he is in shock and that he will say sorry afterwards. We are nearly up to a year now and he hasn’t.

I do believe that if you cause the death of somebody, regardless of whether you meant to or not, there should be a punishment in place and that is going to prison.”

In a victim impact statement read out in court today, she said: “Not once did he say sorry. Now, if he did, it would be meaningless, too little, too late.”

She added: “Life is so hard to carry on with. Everything seems to pointless. Our family is broken beyond repair.”

Paul Genney, mitigating, told the court that despite the views of Stanley’s parents, Grannon “blames himself totally.”

Stanley was being looked after by Grannon and his wife Jennifer during a family gathering at their home when the incident happened at around 4pm.

He was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary with serious injuries after the pellet made a hole in his abdomen, but tragically died.

An inquest opening heard Stanley’s cause of death was an “air gun projectile wound to the abdomen”.

His great-grandmother, Jennifer Grannon, described the youngster as a “brainy, kind little boy”.

At his funeral last year, family members described Stanley, who had a twin sister, Elsie May, as a “loving, caring and beautiful boy” who “adored” playing football.

Stanley’s family have since set up Stanley’s Law in his memory as they call for more regulation over the sale and use of air powered weapons.

The law in Scotland states it is an offence to use, possess, purchase or acquire an air weapon without holding an air weapon certificate.

Miss Dees is campaigning for the same law to apply in England and for people to be more educated when it comes to using and owning air weapons.

The petition has since gathered more than 5,700 signatures since it was launched late last year.