Investigators think an electrical short-circuit was the most likely cause of the Notre Dame Cathedral fire, a police official said this afternoon.
The historic building went up in flames on Monday as tearful Parisians watched in dispair.
More than 400 firefighters battled the flames to save the main structure and towers.
As we reported earlier this week, police opened an investigation into the devastating blaze – questioning a firm of “Cathedral Restorers” to establish how it started.
Craftsmen from Le Bras Freres were working on the 850-year-old iconic building before the fire took hold.
Paris public prosecutor Remy Heitz said his office was “favouring the theory of an accident”.
But he had assigned 50 people to work on what he believed would be a “long” and “complex” investigation.
It was reported that the high altar, installed in 1989, was the only piece of architecture inside the building that was damaged.
It was hit by the cathedral’s spire when it came crashing down in the flames.
Three “irreplaceable” rose windows which date to the 13th century, at first feared to have exploded, are still intact.
Le Bras Freres had won a £5million contract to repair the wooden and lead spire.
Talking about the contract last year, CEO Julien Le Bras, 32, said the goal was “not to put the building at risk”.
Meanwhile, huge sums have been pledged to repair the beloved Paris landmark, which President Emmanuel Macron has set a target of five years to finish.
The president said France “will rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral even more beautifully” as he addressed the nation on Tuesday evening.
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.