Nigerian national who sexually abused girl in UK re-offends after failing to be deported

A GRINNING Nigerian national who sexually abused a schoolgirl in the UK has re-offended after failing to be deported for his sick crimes.

Moses Ologbenla was jailed for six years in 2014 after he and another man plied two schoolgirls with drink and drugs and subjected them to vile sex attacks.

Both men were in the country illegally having overstayed their visas and were supposed to be deported after serving their prison sentences, the court heard at the time.

The 36-year-old Nigerian national was caught as part of Operation Sanctuary, a Northumbria Police investigation into sexual crimes against vulnerable women and girls.

 

His co-accused Hafeez Cole Oye-Dada raped a 14-year-old girl after “cynically exploiting” her by giving her alcohol and cannabis. He was jailed for 10 years.

Ologbenla remained in the UK and went on to commit a further offence in Middlesborough, creating almost 40 undisclosed user names for online use and thereby breaching his notification requirements.

Teesside Magistrates’ Court heard that the user names Ologbenla was using were linked to sites that also sold fraudulent credit card details.

The registered sex offender pleaded guilty to failing to comply with notification requirements at the court on Monday.

No details relating to his deportation were discussed at the hearing. Teesside Live has contacted the Home Office for clarification on Ologbenla’s status in the UK.

John Garside, prosecuting, said Ologbenla was put on the sex offenders register after being sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court on August 5, 2014, for sexual activity with a child.

“He must provide police with notification requirements and he must register user names within three days of creation”, he said.

He added that he “understands these requirements”.

 

But on December 23, last year in Middlesbrough, Ologbenla’s devices were checked by officers.

Mr Garside said a laptop, iPhone and Galaxy mobile phone were checked and found with 38 undisclosed user names.

“Police said they were linked to sites where you can buy fraudulent credit card details,” he said.

He went to prison and came out, and he didn’t believe he was committing a crime
Damian Sabino, Defence Lawyer
Ologbenla, who pleaded not guilty to complying with notifications, was told by magistrates that due to the severity of the offence, sentencing would have to be transferred to a crown court.

In mitigation, Damian Sabino, defending, said he “co-operated fully and gave an explanation” as to why the user names were created, and reiterated there was no evidence they were made to commit a crime.

Mr Sabino said it was his “first breach”

The user names were created in order to view films, watch football and answer surveys,” he said.

“He went to prison and came out, and he didn’t believe he was committing a crime.”

Ologbenla, who now lives at St Margaret’s Terrace in Bradford, was bailed to Teesside Crown Court for sentencing.