Laura Lou Chambers’ daughter was luckily fine, but the incident has left her shaken
It was a terrifying incident which could happen to anyone and left mum Laura Lou Chambers shaken.
The mum-of-two, from Nottingham, reveals she’s normally fastidious about halving grapes before giving them to her kids.
But on this occasion, for the first time, she had a lapse as she made them a snack .
“I made her and Oscar a snack, handful of grapes and some dried cereal,” she wrote on Facebook .
“It was the first time since hearing about that poor child who died choking on a grape that I didn’t cut them in half.
“I figured – she’s almost 5, she isn’t the kind of kid to shovel food and choke, and I was rushing to finish cleaning the house
So off she went up stairs with her bowls of snack to carry on playing with her brother.”
“I continued hoovering, luckily I’d switched it off when I heard her at the top of the stairs. I knew in an instant what had happened. I ran to her. She couldn’t breathe.”
“She had gone to chew a grape and it had shot to the back of her throat, gone down and got wedged.
“I turned her over and hit her as hard as I could between the shoulder blades and still nothing. She was looking me dead in the eyes and her lips turned blue as she couldn’t breathe.at.all.
“Jamie finally managed to perform some manoeuvre on her that sent this grape pictured flying across the room.
“I lay here now watching her sleep I’ve cried most the night and my heart hurts as I look at her chest where there are still nail indentations from where she clawed at her throat for air.
PLEASE PLEASE let this be a reminder to all the parents out there – my life nearly changed forever last night all because of my carelessness.”
Having recounted the heart-stopping tale, Laura Lou’s warning has now, in turn, been shared tens of thousand of times.
One mum added a further warning, saying: “This also can happen sausages … Cut all sausages length ways to kids.
“More kids choke on grapes and sausages than anything else.”