Mum’s heartbreaking warning after her healthy seven-month-old baby died while sleeping in her bed

A MUM has issued a warning after her “healthy” seven-month-old baby died while sleeping in her bed.

Tragic Jermaine Harris was found lifeless by his grieving mum Sheree on the morning of February 13 this year.

She had slept with her baby in bed, but when she got up to answer a phone call she noticed he wasn’t there.

His lifeless body was then found when she kicked the bed away and saw he had become wedged in a small gap between the bed and cot.

The opening of his inquest last month said she then found her son “had become wedged in a v shape between the bed and the cot which were located close together.”

The coroner heard he appeared to be lifeless and attempts to revive him failed.

But the full circumstances surrounding his cause of death will be examined at another inquest hearing at a later date.

A tearful Sheree, of Plymouth, Devon, said she wanted to issue a warning to other parents not to sleep with their baby in the hope of avoiding further tragedy.

She desperately tried to revive him using CPR while she waited for medical help, but says he was pronounced dead in hospital just after 9am.

Sheree said: “I was going into shock. My body was like jelly”.

She revealed she was woken at just before 6am that day and gave him a bottle feed before “the usual baby talk” between her and Jermaine.

The mum added: “He was yapping away to me. Jermaine would sometimes sleep in my bed – he would always sleep better there.

“I spoke to him, we played for a little while. I put him in the middle of my bed.

“Jermaine used to prefer it in my bed. He had a cot, but he always preferred it in the bed.

“He would kick his covers off in the cot and I can be a heavy sleeper and I used to be petrified that I’d go in a deep sleep and he would kick his covers off and freeze.”

Sheree adds: “It was a cold winter so that’s why he slept in the bed with me.

“I went to make a cup of coffee. I sat back in the seat for a couple of minutes and fell asleep.”

Just after 8am Sheree said her whole world collapsed.

She added: “The phone was ringing. It was my friend Julie. I had my phone in my hand as I spoke to her.

“I went to the toilet and then went to the bed. I pulled the quilt off where I believed Jermain was. He wasn’t there.”

Frantically she looked over the bed and then the cot beside it. Fearing the absolute worst she kicked the bed away and Jermaine’s body was revealed.

Her phone records that she phoned the emergency services at 8.15am.

Trying to gulp in breaths to speak through her sobbing, Sheree explained how Jermaine was “cold and floppy.

She added: “I knew. I knew straight away.

“I’ve got nothing to live for. I’ve had my days. It’s not the same now. That little boy was my own life.”

Sheree wants other parents to heed her warning: “Don’t leave them in your bed – ever. I thought he was safe in my bed.

Never, never ever do it. I’d done it will my kids when they were poorly. It was only me and Jermaine at my flat.

“If by sharing my story, if I can save a child’s life or save them from injury, then it’s worth telling it. I can’t change the past, but I hope I can save someone’s future.”

Sheree, 41, who has three other children, says she was shocked to become pregnant so late in life.

“I miss him so much. He was just learning to say ‘mum’.

“He was a healthy, thriving boy.