Mum’s heartbreak at ‘unimaginable’ loss of daughter, 5, killed when head got trapped in lift as firm fined £1.5m

A HEARTBROKEN mum has told of the “unimaginable” loss of her daughter who was killed when her head got trapped in a lift.

Alexys Brown, five, died from “horrific” head and neck injuries at her home in Weymouth, Dorset, because maintenance contractor Orona Ltd had not repaired the lift for six years.

The family moved into the three-bedroom property in 2009 with the lift installed because it would assist their disabled son.

They told Health and Safety Executive investigators there had been ongoing problems with it since they moved in, including the door not being able to open.

By May 2015 the Perspex door panel was damaged and should have been repaired or replaced.

The lift should have been serviced every six months and subjected to a “thorough examination” twice yearly by a third party insurer.

Today, Housing association Synergy Housing Ltd which owned the property was fined £1million and Orona Ltd was fined £533,000.

Mum Lorraine Brown said: “Nothing can ever bring Alexys back to us. The fines to us are irrelevant. All we ever wanted was an apology from Synergy and we got that.

“Alexys was a loving, carefree and angelic little girl who was full of energy, love and laughter.

“I hope that what has happened to our family sheds light on others in order to avoid anything like this ever happening again.

“We are now looking forward in raising our children with memories, photos, videos and stories of their sister.”

Hold your children a little tighter and love your family a little harder. You never know when you won’t be able to anymore.”

Bournemouth Crown Court heard the incident happened when Alexys’ older brother, who is a wheelchair user, asked her to go upstairs to get his mobile phone.

The children’s grandmother, who was looking after them, heard the boy shouting and rushed to the scene. She tried freeing her granddaughter but was unable to and called the emergency services.

Her head was caught in a hole in the broken perspex door panel of the disabled lift in her home which activated it, causing her to be trapped against the lift and the ceiling.

Firefighters had to cut Alexys free because there was no emergency key or handle to manually free her, the court heard.

Dominic Kay QC, for Synergy, said: “Synergy accepts wholeheartedly its failings. It is important to understand the feelings of regret and remorse felt at Synergy.”

James Ageros QC, representing Orona, expressed his “sincere regret and condolences” to Alexys’ family.