A MUM told how she found her three-year-old son dying in the bath on Mother’s Day after she left him alone in it for about 15 minutes to do the washing.
Sahrish Idris, 28, found son Aayan Ishaq lying unconscious in the water with his Peppa Pig toys after she returned from folding up clothes downstairs.
Paramedics were called to the family home in Rusholme, Manchester but Aayan was pronounced dead in hospital despite efforts to revive him.
It was initially thought he had drowned but tests were later unable to establish how the three-year-old died.
Idris was later charged with manslaughter following a police investigation when it emerged Aayan had swallowed three of his mum’s sleeping tablets a year before the accident.
But her subsequent pleas to the lesser charges of child neglect were accepted and she was given a suspended jail sentence in October 2017.
At an inquest into her son’s death housewife Idris relieved the tragedy on March 26 2017.
She told the hearing in Manchester: “I ran a bath for him. I then went downstairs to get his clothes.
Aayan enjoyed having baths and it was about 9pm his bedtime.
“He got his Peppa Pig toys and put them in the bath he was sat down playing in the water.
“I filled the bath to his chest and I sat with him for five or ten minutes then I went downstairs to get his clothes.
“The washing was all in the front room downstairs. I was folding some clothes as well. I couldn’t hear anything but I returned upstairs and I found him lying in the bath. I think he was facing up.
“I pulled him out the water and took him into the bedroom. I was on the phone to the ambulance and drying him at the same time.
“They told me to do CPR, I was so scared, I was panicking and I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do any mouth to mouth. Then the ambulance came and took over.”
Aayan died at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital at 12.29am on March 27.
Paying tribute to her son, she said: “He was a lovely little boy, he had recently started nursery and was there 15 hours a week, he really enjoyed going there, he loved playing out and playing with his mates.
“He always listened to me. He was a perfect little boy.”
Dr Melanie Newbold a consultant paediatric pathologist, told the hearing a low level of the drug midazolam was found in his system but added that it could have been given as part of the attempt to resuscitate him.
She added: “The medical cause of death is un-ascertained – there was no evidence of serious injury.”
Paul Devine, a senior police coroner’s officer, added that the mum was initially charged with manslaughter but a pathology report led to police dropping that charge in favour of child neglect, which Idris admitted.
Recording an open verdict coroner John Hobson said: “Aayan’s mother ran a bath for him and he helped by putting the toys in the bath.
“He sat in the bath about chest height and she then went downstairs for 10 to 15 minutes and folded clothes downstairs and when she returned she found Aayan unresponsive in the bath.
“She couldn’t recall whether he was face up or face down and called an ambulance.
“Aayan died sadly despite efforts being made to revive him.
“This is a tragic case of a young boy just three years old and it’s unclear in relation to the medical cause of death, there is uncertainty.”