Man’s chilling warning to victim in nine-hour rape attack on Saddleworth Moor

A man kidnapped a woman before repeatedly raping her during a nightmare nine-hour ordeal on Saddleworth moor.

Malcolm Lockwood lay in wait for the woman as she walked through woodland in Milnsbridge and then held her captive for nine hours between May 2 and May 3 last year.

Lockwood drove his victim to isolated moors where he raped her in his car, the Examiner Live reports.

Michael Smith, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court: “The defendant had been waiting for her or stalking her that day.

“When he saw that she was on foot, he followed and went down the alleyway or pathway after her.”

He said Lockwood took her car keys and phone, repeatedly assaulted her and threatened to throw her in the canal, saying: “You do realise you are going to die today.”

Lockwood told the woman to get in the car and he began driving along the M62 towards the moors. At one point during the journey, he threatened to throw her off Scammonden Bridge.

When the car stopped at an isolated spot on the moors, he began phoning people and during one of those phone calls she shouted for help.

The person on the other end of the phone called the police, prompting a cross-county manhunt involving a police helicopter.

Lockwood made the woman touch herself and took a photo and also took photos of him abusing her.

He threatened to cut her vagina with a Stanley knife and went to the boot to retrieve one, but it was not there.

Mr Smith said: “She was absolutely petrified during this incident and she truly thought she was going to die.”

In relation to the secluded location, Judge Rodney Jameson QC told Lockwood: “You were confident enough to allow her to get out and relieve herself.

“You knew she was utterly at your mercy.”

She was rescued at around 1.30am on May 3 by police who smashed their way into the car.

On the first day of a trial in October, Lockwood pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

At the end of the trial in November, a jury found him guilty of making threats to kill, kidnapping, three counts of rape and a further count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Lockwood claimed during the trial that it had been a ‘coincidental meeting’ in the woods as he was on his way to visit a friend.

He has previous convictions for physically assaulting women and men.

Catherine Silverton, mitigating, said a lengthy sentence would have an affect on the lives of the defendant’s two children and at least four grandchildren.

Lockwood was given an extended prison sentence and told he must serve a custodial term of fourteen-and-a-half years, two thirds of which must be spent in custody.

He must serve a further eight-year period on licence.

He was made the subject of indefinite notification requirements and an indefinite restraining order.

The judge also made a deprivation order in relation to the mobile phone that has the abusive photos on it, meaning he will never get it or the images back.