Man stabbed to death begged to see wife as he lay dying

LONDON’S latest stabbing victim begged to see his wife as he lay dying in the street after being attacked near a pub.

The man in his 60s was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later after police were called to a street in Southall, West London, at around 6.40pm last night.

The man is the latest victim of London’s knife crime epidemic, which has claimed 88 lives so far this year.

Police arrested a man in his 30s on suspicion of murder after they were called to St Mary’s Avenue in Southall at 6.41pm.

The London Ambulance Service and Air Ambulance Service raced to the scene after the man was found with a stab wound, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man arrested is currently in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.

Witnesses say the stabbing happened near the The Plough Inn Pub on Tentelow Lane.

Raj Grover, who lives nearby, said: “He was ringing our doorbell. He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting “dad, come out’.

I went downstairs and saw he (the victim) was full of blood, and then I was running to pick up a towel.

“He said ‘Just call my wife’.

“His wife, she mentioned he went to the pub, I don’t know what happened in the pub just around the corner, he came back, was on his way back and somebody stabbed him twice, stabbed him two times with a knife on the stomach and on his side.”

Dramatic video shows the Air Ambulance landing on Norwood Green close to the scene of the stabbing.

The road remains closed as enquiries continue.

A Met Police spokesperson: “Police were called to St. Mary’s Avenue in Southall at 18:41hrs on Saturday, 24 August after a report of a man being stabbed.

“Officers, London Ambulance Service and the Air Ambulance Service attended and treated a man in his 60s suffering with a stab wound.

“He was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.

“One man aged in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is currently in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.

“A crime scene and multiple road closures are in place while enquiries continue.”

Tonight’s stabbing comes barely a week after a teenager was knifed to death in broad daylight.

Solomon Small, 18, was stabbed in the chest in Brixton, South London and died at the scene.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with his murder on August 21.

Figures revealed five young people are attacked with a knife every day in London and Sadiq Khan warned it could take a “decade” to turn back the tide of violent crime.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said last week he was determined to tackle rising levels of knife crime amid the impression of a growing “culture of insolence” among “thugs” who believed they could act with impunity.

Mr Johnson pledged to extended police stop and search powers and also said the government would be investing £2.5 billion in creating 10,000 new prison places.

Last year was London’s bloodiest in a decade – when the number of homicides reached 132.