Intruder ‘breaks into Buckingham Palace as Queen sleeps metres away’

The massive security breach happened at 2am this morning after a man scaled a fence and ‘tried banging on doors’

An intruder attempted to break into Buckingham Palace in the early hours of this morning as the Queen slept metres away.

The huge security breach happened at around 2am.

The man is said to have scaled a fence at the front of the building before he tried to bang on several doors.

It is claimed it took four minutes for him to be apprehended by police who were already on the premises as part of the royals’ security detail. 

Palace sources said: “A man did manage to jump over the gates of Buckingham Palace but he was quickly and successfully apprehended by police at the scene. 

“He did not manage to get near the main building and was arrested immediately.

“Officers quickly established he was carrying no weapons and the incident was not deemed to be terror related.”

A royal insider added to The Sun: “There was an intruder at the Palace while the Queen lay sleeping in her bedroom and he was on the loose for a good few minutes before the cops arrested him.

“He was determined to get inside the palace and was banging down the doors but, thank goodness, this time everything was locked up.”

An investigation will now be underway over how the man got into the grounds without being stopped immediately.

It’s thought the man would have known the Queen was in residence as the royal standard flag was flying at the Palace.

Buckingham Palace insiders said the 93-year-old Queen is aware of the incident and they were relieved “everything was locked up”.

They added: “The Queen has full confidence in her security detail protecting her and will expect to be informed of the details of the report into the incident in due course.”

The Duke of Edinburgh, who spends most of his time at the royals’ Sandringham estate in Norfolk, was not at the palace. 

A Met Police spokesman confirmed a 22-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of trespass and is in police custody.

He said: “The 22-year-old man was arrested at approximately 02:00hrs on Wednesday, 10 July by officers from the Met’s Royalty and Specialist Protection Command after he climbed over the front gates at Buckingham Palace.

“The man was not found in possession of any offensive weapons and the incident is not being treated as terrorist-related.

“He remains in custody at a central London police station.”

The drama comes almost 37 years to the day that beer-loving Brit Michael Fagan broke into the Queen’s bedroom at Buckingham Palaceand saw Her Majesty in ‘nothing but a nightie.

Fagan, then 33, was nursing a broken heart when he decided to scale the walls of the Palace – twice – sparking one of the worst royal security breaches in the 20th Century.

The “happy-go-lucky” father of four, from Islington, London, wandered barefoot along the corridors, helped himself to Prince Charles’s wine and urinated in corgi food.

And he reportedly even sat on the startled Queen’s bed.

He went undetected on the first occasion, even saying ‘good morning’ to staff members, before being caught the second time weeks later when the Queen fled for help.

He believed he did the Royal Family a favour by proving their security wasn’t up to scratch – and he didn’t think much of the decor either.

“I don’t know how the hell I found her,” Fagan said in a 1993 BBC radio interview, adding that he sat on the corner of the Queen’s bed.

Amid the media frenzy after the break-in, the dad also told reporters that Her Majesty was wearing a Liberty-print nightie down to her knees.

But last year he finally come clean.

“I tried to keep it sterile and said she was wearing a liberty print nightie down to her knees even though I didn’t notice what it was,” the now-68-year-old admitted to the Islington Gazette.