Girl 20, killed when she dropped charging phone in bath is fifth woman to die this year

A girl died after she dropped her charging mobile in the bath – marking the fifth woman to die in a similar tragedy this year.

Anastasia, 20, was found dead by her mum Oksana, 48, at their home in southern Moscow, Russia.

Oksana had just got home from work when she called out for Anastasia.

Hearing no response, she went into the bathroom as the light was on.

Horrified, Oksana recalled Anastasia lying in the bathwater with her mobile phone – still in the power socket – next to her.

Speaking to Russian newspaper, Moskovsky Komsololets, Oksana said: “I saw Nastya (Anastasia) lying in an empty bath.

“In one hand she was holding her mobile phone plugged into the socket, and in the other she had a bath plug.

“I thought she was alive but unconscious so I called the ambulance.”

Anastasia was pronounced dead at the scene.

 

Police have now issued a strong warning against using phones while bathing.

Electronics engineer Andrey Stanovsky has warned that “relaxing in a bathroom with your mobile phone plugged is like playing Russian roulette”.

A week before Anastasia’s death, Yulia Vysotskaya, 14, from Cheboksary, died when her phone which slipped out of her hands in the bath.

In December Russian martial arts champion Irina Rybnikova, 15, died instantly when using her iPhone plugged into a charger while in the bath at her home in Bratsk, Siberia.

The teen was a champion fighter in pankration – a form of “no rules” boxing and wrestling originating in ancient Greece.

Earlier 2 year old Kseniya P was electrocuted while listening to music from her charging phone while in the bath in Bolshoe Gryzlovo village in the Serpukhovsky district of Moscow region.

Her mother was cooking an evening meal and become worried about Kseniya’s silence.

She went into the bathroom and found the girl “already dead with her head under the water”, with the phone floating beside her.

After Irina’s death, Yury Agrafonov, the head of radio-electronic department of Irkutsk State University, said: “Water is a good conductor.

“This is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water.

“If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened.”