Family left shocked and bloody as glass table from Argos exploded

A family dinner was dramatically cut short when a glass table suddenly exploded.

Katie Connor, from Bognor Regis, West Sussex, said members of the family were left with cuts on their legs after the Argos table shattered.

Dramatic pictures show the frame of the table and a pile of shattered glass, plates and food.

The remains of the table appear to match the “Home Lido Glass Dining Table and four chairs” set on sale at Argos for £112.

Katie took to Facebook to share pictures of the busted furniture and to warn people against buying the same brand.

In the comments below she wrote: “My nieces were at the table. A few cuts but everyone’s ok. It happened in the middle of eating dinner and the table smashed.

“The person I spoke to (at Argos) refused to put me on to his manager. I was fuming so complaining about him as well.

I wasn’t even next to the table and I have cuts from it.”

Rosie Connor, who is believed to be Katie’s sister, said her legs were hurting following the incident.

“I had cuts all over my legs and was bleeding,” she wrote.

Luckily…the girls did not get hurt.

“A glass dining table is surely meant for eating our dinner on? The food was not even that hot.

“I wouldn’t expect a table to explode over us when my two young children are sitting around it.”

Concerned Facebook users were quick to send messages of support.

Lindsey Brayfield wrote under Katie’s post saying: “Oh Jesus. Glad everyone is okay though.”

Sara Louise Spears added: “Bloody hell. Glad everyone is ok? I would complain to Argos about the table.”

Carina Dunne said: “Oh s***. Bless them. Well it’s something you would never think would happen really. Glad they’re ok. Fingers crossed for you.”

An Argos spokeswoman said an apology had been made to the family and an investigation launched.

“Although it’s extremely rare, glass tables can break for a number of reasons and so our sets are designed to shatter safely into small pieces to prevent serious injury,” she added.

“We can see that’s what’s happened in this case.”

Earlier this year, a dad bought a new garden table from B&M only to find it shattered all over his baby and wife minutes after he set it up.

Neil Hancox, 36, from Liverpool, bought the six seater glass table for £100.

Mr Hancox left to put the packaging away after setting it up only to hear the shattering sound from the garden on April 21.

B&M confirmed the table had not been recalled and that incidents like that were “rare”.