Evil mum who beat 7month-old IVF baby to death told cops tragic girl was ‘very wriggly’

AN evil mum who beat her seven-month-old IVF daughter to death told cops she had a “very wriggly” baby.

Shalina Padmanabha, 33, abused her helpless newborn for half her young life after the premature girl spent four and a half months in hospital.

The girl – who cannot be named for legal reasons – suffered “catastrophic” head injuries, Inner London Crown Court heard yesterday.

She was rushed to Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone, East London, but later died from her injuries in the early hours of 15 August 2017.

Prosecutor Tracy Ayling QC said: “Because it was a sudden death her body was subjected to a post-mortem skeleton scan.

“That scan revealed she had died as a result of catastrophic injuries to her head.”

Padmanabha, of Buckhurst Hill, Essex, was arrested on 24 August and told officers she simply had a “very strong” and “wriggly” baby.

A post-mortem revealed a number of older healing injuries fractures to the skull, cracked ribs and bleeding behind the eyes.

The injuries were consistent with the baby being shaken, squeezed by the ribs and having her left leg pulled and twisted.

Jurors were told some of the injuries dated as far back as three months – meaning the girl had been abused for almost half her life.

A jury took 13 hours and 51 minutes to clear Padmanabha of murder.

But she was convicted her of manslaughter and of cruelty against a person under 16.

Padmanabha – who maintained she didn’t know what caused her daughter to collapse – wept in the dock as she was convicted.

She had spent years trying to conceive with her husband before successfully giving birth to her daughter in February 2016 following IVF.

The baby, who was born prematurely, was suffering medical issues with required her to remain in the hospital for four and a half months.

After she was discharged, she needed to be fed a specialist diet via a tube, had severe eczema and a small hole in her head.

She also required several surgeries for her health issues, and a number of health support staff were tasked with monitoring her progress.

Padmanabha was remanded in custody ahead of sentencing at the Old Bailey on July 19.