Brit girl, 2, left fighting for life on TUI holiday’ in resort where couple died

A BRITISH girl was left fighting for her life after contracting E-coli while on a TUI holiday with her family at the same Egypt resort where a couple died.

Daisie-Rae, 2, fell dangerously ill with the deadly bug which shut down her kidneys, leaving her “limp, lifeless and turned yellow” with only a 50 per cent chance of survival.

After hearing another toddler Cillian Holt contracted the same e-coli strain and kidney condition in the same resort, her mother has come forward saying she warned TUI but was ignored.

Keelie Averill, from Orsett in Essex, said: “I can’t believe this is happening in this resort again. This has really upset us to know the same thing is now happening to another child. I really feel for the family.

“We didn’t want anyone to go through the living hell we went through. We warned TUI years ago there was a problem in the resort but it doesn’t seem to have made a difference if kids are still getting ill in their hotels.”

The family had booked an all inclusive two week holiday to Hurghada staying in the Jaz Makadi Aquaviva hotel with their daughter, who was two and a half years old at the time.

At some point into the holiday, Daisie-Rae became lethargic and sick.

The family visited the on-site doctor and were given an anti sickness injection which gave the two-and-a-half-year-old a brief respite.

But soon her condition deteriorated and she became limp and lifeless and ‘turned yellow’.

She was rushed to hospital by ambulance where the family was given the devastating news she had contracted a kidney complaint called haemolytic uraemic syndrome.

As doctors delivered the news that her kidneys had stopped working and she had only a fifty per cent chance of survival, one translator told them to “be happy”.

Ms Averill, a 39-year-old book keeper, said: “I was in bits – I couldn’t believe what I was hearing – that I should smile and be happy …

” … My daughter was lifeless and spaced out and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, it was horrendous.

She added: “I didn’t think I would be bringing my little girl home. So we broke down as we realised how serious things were.

Daisie-Rae needed a blood transfusion but had to be held down so doctors could draw blood.

Her mother described: “It was heart breaking – four adults holding her down. But they said we needed to do it to get her better, but she was screaming and fighting it all the time. She was covered in bruises from all the needle insertions.”

However, the little girl’s condition deteriorated and she was flown by air ambulance to a specialist children’s hospital in Cairo.

Ms Averill recalled: “As soon as we arrived they took her off me into intensive care. I heard her screaming for me but they wouldn’t let me in.”

After a two hour operation they started to try kidney dialysis through tubes inserted into her stomach.

She added: “When she was awake they let us stay with her but as soon as she was asleep they got us out of the room. It was very emotional and we were just numb.”

Doctors told the family the stomach dialysis wasn’t working so after no improvement she was rushed by air ambulance back to the UK to St Thomas’s Evelina children’s hospital in February 2017.

She then spent three weeks on dialysis and was hooked up to a room full of machines to keep her alive and had a platelet and blood transfusion.

Her mum added: “She had a tube in her mouth and loads of machines it was heartbreaking seeing her there but at least she was home.”

Back in the UK and after a battery of tests, doctors diagnosed her daughter with a string of complaints.

Ms Averill explained: “We was told she had acute kidney failure and E-coli 103 which had caused HUS as well as a condition for life which means antibiotics may not work properly.”

Daisie-Rae, who is now four, has to have daily iron supplements and faces regular kidney check ups into her teens as her long term prognosis is unknown.

She added: “The doctors don’t know what will happen with her kidneys in the future and how damaged they really are.”

In total, Daisie-Rae was hospitalised for a month in three separate hospitals via two air ambulances.

The couple later complained to TUI about their ordeal but said they received a less than satisfactory response.

Ms Averill said: “But TUI just don’t care. When my daughter finally left hospital I contacted them but they didn’t want to know.

“They sent me a standard reply as if my flight had been delayed a few hours.

“Then they went out of their way to be unhelpful – it was outrageous.”

They have since decided they had no choice but to take legal action.

Travel lawyer Simon Lomax of Simpson Millar solicitors, who is handling their claim, says TUI needs to do more to stop the spread of infection in resorts.

He said: “This family have been through hell and back and now another child on a TUI holiday is going through the same thing.

“The tour operator needs to do much more to prevent infection in family resorts and to stop children from ending up in hospital.”

Hurghada resort is currently in the grip of a mass sickness outbreak.

This is the third year in a row that Brits have been struck down with the E-coli bug in Hurghada.

In August last year, Brit couple John and Susan Cooper died in their room within hours of each other at Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada.

Investigations later revealed a high incidence of E-coli in their hotel.

Now Public Health England have taken the unusual step of issuing a warning after nearly 20 Brits contracted the E-coli bug in the resort.

Ms Averill said she noticed signs of poor hygiene at the hotel’s eateries with food being served cold or uncooked and hot food being placed on top of other food.

She said: “My food was never warm and they used to pile hot food on top of other food all the time. We got my daughter some hot dogs but when we cut in to them it was cold inside and also another time a burger was cold.”

She also noted that there were flies all over the food.