Boy died of meningitis just hours after paramedics claimed he was ‘milking it’

Two doctors and two paramedics rejected a mother’s fears that her son had meningitis just hours before he died, an inquest heard on Tuesday.

Georgie Hall, 38, claims paramedic Graham Scott accused son Oliver, six, of trying to “milk” his illness when he appeared to trip and asked if she had “googled” the symptoms.

While Oliver was being seen by GPs, Mr Scott allegedly said he spent much of his time dealing with “overanxious” mums.

The doctors said it was safe to send Oliver home with a “normal child’s virus”.

But his condition deteriorated and less than 12 hours later he died of meningitis.

Primary school teacher Georgie said the GPs “didn’t seem to look” at the rash.

She told the inquest Mr Scott kept ­interrupting the doctors and trying to persuade them her son was “fine”.

Georgie said: “They assured me he was well enough to return home. They rejected meningitis out of hand. I was told everything was fine and made to feel I had to trust the professionals.”

Oliver’s dad, teacher Bryan Hall, said the couple had received paediatric training through work.

He said Oliver had been ill “in a way he’d never been ill before”, adding: “We both suspected meningitis. We were made to feel we did not know what we were talking about.”

They sat with a framed photograph of their son and one of his Tiger toys at the inquest in Ipswich, Suffolk.

Georgie, who is seven months ­pregnant and also mum to Charlie, five, said Oliver had a sore head and jaw on the evening of October 22, 2017.

By the following morning he had a stomach ache and high-temperature but no GP appointment was ­available until 3.50pm.

When a rash appeared and his breathing became laboured she rang NHS 111. A call handler ordered an ambulance and Mr Scott and Oliver Denby arrived at the home in Halesworth, Suffolk.

They took him to see Dr Lester Braganza and Dr Robert Treen, who sent him home.

At 6.20pm Georgie returned to the GP surgery where Dr Treen said the rash was “typical” of meningitis and ­administered penicillin.

The Halls drove Oliver to hospital where he went into cardiac arrest and died just after 2am on October 24.

Prof Nigel Klein, of Great Ormond Street Hospital, said he could have survived if he had been treated earlier.

The inquest continues.