Baby dies after choking at Scottish nursery

The nursery has been closed while investigations are being carried out

A ten-month-old baby boy has died after choking on a piece of food at a nursery in Edinburgh.

The incident took place at the Bright Horizons Nursery in the city’s Corstorphine area yesterday (Wed).

The child was rushed to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children but medics were unable to save him.

The incident is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and the nursery has since been closed while investigations are being carried out.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Police in Edinburgh were contacted after a 10-month-old boy took unwell within a private nursery in the Corstorphine area of the city on Tuesday 9th July.

“The child was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children where he sadly passed away on Wednesday 10th July.

“The death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”

More to follow…